Antimicrobial Testing >> Antibacterial Activity
Antimicrobial Activity JIS L1902 & ISO 20743
· JIS L1902
· ISO 20743
JIS L1902 - Testing for antibacterial activity and efficacy on textile products & ISO 20743 - Textiles - Determination of antibacterial activity of antibacterial finished products
Scope: This Standard specifies quantitative test methods for evaluating the antibacterial activity of bacteria on antibacterial finished textile products including nonwovens. The standard is applicable to all textile products, including cloth, wadding, thread and material for clothing, home furnishing and miscellaneous goods regardless of the type of antimicrobial agent used.
Type of bacteria used:
- Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 6538
- Klebsiella pneumonia ATCC 4352
- Other bacteria: Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli and methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus
Test samples are run in triplicate and are sterilized by high pressure steam in the autoclave.
- Inoculated samples are incubated for 18 hrs
- testing is run in triplicate for each organism and time point
- the bacteriostatic activity value and bactericidal activity value are calculated as log reductions
JIS-L1902 and ISO 20743 are very similar to AATCC100.
Concentrations for all organisms and methods are done using automated equipment; as in Tempo Filler and Reader from BioMerieux and the Autoplater and Q-count from Spiral Biotech.